Fresh & fruity: watermelon, radish & herb salad.
The ultimate summer salad — crisp, refreshing and just so pretty!
You may be wondering why I’m whipping up a “summer salad” in February, but sometimes you just need that injection of sunshine to lighten your mood and brighten up the cold, dark, winter months. Filled with beautiful shades of pink & green, this simple salad does the trick. Not only does it taste as good as it looks, but it’s totally versatile, meaning that you can pair it with lots of other dishes for that burst of freshness and colour. Although, my personal favourite is when it’s teamed up with satay chicken, alongside some simple udon noodles (see pictures below).
This recipe is adapted from part of a Jamie Oliver dish called ‘Sticky Kicking Chicken‘. When The Hungry Hungry Husband first made it for me, I was completely won over by how wonderfully simple and tasty the salad was on its own and kept thinking about it for days afterwards! Needless to say, I started experimenting with adding it other dishes but, actually, this one is sort of the star of the show whatever you eat it with. Great for picnics, too!
Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: none! | Servings: 6
- Roughly chop 100g lettuce into chunks
- Take the skin off 600g watermelon (about a quarter of a whole one) then chop it into small pieces
- Take the root end off 200g radishes and then chop them into halves or quarters so they’re all a similar size
- Finely chop 10g coriander and 10g mint
- Mix everything together a large bowl and that’s it!
Simple Summer Salad
Final thoughts from The Hungry Hungry Husband?
“It sounds like a strange combination of ingredients but actually it’s really good!”